The highlight of my year would of course be Natalie's arrival in February. She's turned my life upside down, but it's for the better, no? It's so nice to be greeted by her toothless grin, Nick makes her wake me up almost every morning and we play peekaboo with the blankets for a few minutes before I drag myself out of bed. She's growing way too fast, I miss her newborn days but I also look forward to seeing her personality develop.
I'm still a bit in denial about having to give up certain things when a child comes along...like my freedom for one! Nick constantly lectures that I shouldn't shop so much now, we have a family, ya dah, ya dah.
Since I was mostly confined to home or to work, I relied a lot on online shopping this year (OK, the weak US dollar might have had something to do with it along with bosses who are never in!). Always a sucker for a bargain, I ended up with a bunch of things I didn't need and a wardrobe bursting at the seams. Joanne starting Delirious Divas didn't help my pocket either!
In March, Nick and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary. 5 years ain't a lot but we've known each other for 10 and been together for 8. We still don't fight, which I think is remarkable and which everyone thinks is abnormal. Yes, I may get miffed at him at times when he drives aggresively or swears like a sailor, and no doubt my messiness and spending habits make him age faster but we are generally peace-loving people and rather 'bo-chap' so there's never been any drama. Which is just the way I like it!
In April, Nat was baptised and we had a party at home to celebrate. Joanne also got hitched that month and I served as Matron-of-Honour. The lowpoint of the month would be Ata's passing. She was always there, I thought she would live forever but she didn't.
Attended quite a bit of weddings in 2008, Ajen & Vim, Joanne & Tarek, Hannah & Ellis, Vig & Mohan, Xinyi & Kim, Edwina & Simon, Jane & Albert...all these people better have babies next year!
We got a new car in July, thank goodness for Pierre...we can squeeze more people.
This year I hit the big 3-0, had a small, pink-themed dessert party at home. Brought Nat to her first photoshoot in August and threw Swana a surprise baby shower.
Another highlight of the year would be Giselle's arrival. I'm so glad me and Swana have daughters the same age, these two will do everything together, like twins only 7 months apart. Gigi is a chubby little bugger, but she is really sweet.
Attended my first F1 race, well ok, qualifying session. It was thrilling to see/hear the cars up close, I can't wait for next year's race!
On the work front, things have been pretty smooth and uneventful. I was out of action a couple of months on maternity but the only major thing to happen was my boss leaving. For a while I didn't know what would happen to me, but it was sorted quickly. Workload remains the same even though I help 3 people now so it's all good. I dabbled in the recreational events, helping to organise the D&D and Christmas party.
Only went on 1 trip this year, thank goodness for babysitters! While Nick attended the Contiki sales conference in Europe, I stole away to Ho Chi Minh for the 3rd year running. Will there be a fourth? Only time will tell. There was that other mini-holiday at the Caribbean Residences...which reminds me I have to let Nat try the pool again.
And now here's the bit where I make resolutions I will only end up breaking. But what the heck? I shall try my best to stick to the plan, wish me luck!
1) Lose 5 kg by May and have a flat stomach by Greece - I can't help it if I love potatoes and pasta and noodles and food in general but I will attempt to have one carbo-less meal a day. No matter how hard I will it, the fats aren't miraculously disappearing so I have to get off my lazy ass and actually exercise. *groan*
2) Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize - Been pretty slack with my skincare routine and just generally letting myself go. My legs are also really, really dry and scaly. I need to drink lots of water (Ice Mountain only, please) and remember to use all the tubes and bottles of lotion I have. And I have plenty!
I also think I should paint my nails more, would be a waste to let all that OPI nail polish dry up and I need to take my vitamins before they all expire! My calcium intake is non-existent except for cheese in pizzas and the occasional scoop of ice-cream!
3) Save more, spend less - Yeah, right! We'll see how it goes, I have to do my bit for the economy and stimulate it by spending, no?
4) Cook more - There are still lots of recipes I want to try out and so many things to learn from Ma like Kuah Nanas, Nasi Minyak, Chap Chye. This will be Mita Stewart's year!
Speaking of food, I must track down my favourite chicken rice stall that disappeared from Far East Plaza. I loved their soup and the sauce drizzled on the chicken, I remember the guy's name was Sunny and they had a funny shop name like 'House de Sun de Boneless Chicken Rice' or something like that. I wonder where they went, it's been too long! Maybe I should write in to 'Our Makan Places Lost and Found'?
5) Be neater - They don't call me a mini-tornado or Captain Caveman for nothing. Not only do I clutter my room, inbox, handbags and cubicle, I have a habit of hoarding. Well, no more I say though I doubt I will last beyond January. I need to get rid of the 2517 messages in my Yahoo mailbox and the 1158 useless emails in my work email by end-Jan.
6) Exercise patience with Mildred - I know I've complained too much about Mildred, I shall try to be more patient. After all, I will need her help babysitting at some point. Honestly, she tries really hard to please and I should cut her some slack.
Since AMK was on the way home, we decided to 'tapau' some crab from Mellben, bought 2 butter crabs and 1 chili....mmmm, can't wait for dinner. Was amazed at Mellben's transformation, they've renovated and look like a high class coffee shop now complete with pebbles on the ground and a waterfall feature.
Am off to Seventh Heaven again to get more ice cream, toodles! And Happy New Year!