October 21, 2011

Ramen King

Whilst running errands in the Tanjong Pagar vicinity yesterday, Phyllis and I decided to check out Ramen Keisuke Tonkotsu King, a ramen bar at Orchid Hotel.



I have seen long queues since it opened so we stuck it out and waited about 15 mins for a table to see what the fuss is all about. It was opened by Keisuke Takeda who was crowned TV Tokyo's King of Ramen 2011, so if the Japanese think he is the best, the noodles better be good!

Here they only serve Tonkotsu Ramen, but you can customize your soup and toppings a little bit with the menu sheet they provide plus extra condiments like pickled beansprouts, bonito flakes, hard boiled eggs at the table. I went with a regular tonkotsu ramen and I must say the soup was quite 'power' though a little salty.

The noodles were al dente, the char shu a thin sliver of meat. Instead of seaweed, the noodles come with black fungus and you can add your own sesame seeds too. There were bits of white jelly bits floating in the soup which we realised was actually lard...no wonder the soup so shiok!



How nice to have something this good close to home, I'll definitely go back for more and now I have to check out their other ramen outlet at Millenia which has more variety.

The binging continued today when I met Hong Wei for lunch. We were supposed to have roast chicken nearby but it started pouring so he picked me up and we went to Marina Square instead. Dined at Pu Tien, they've been around a few years and had good reviews but I'd never been.


I let him do the ordering, we shared fried bee hoon, deep fried eggplant with pork floss, sweet and sour pork with lychee, a tofu dish and some corn pancake. Everything was good, except the pancake was a miss. But next time we're at Marina Square, will try and convince the boy to try them.



When I got back to the office, my neighbour Aaron was surprised with a birthday cake by his boss. Because he sits in a corner, everyone snuck up on him singing the birthday song! Mmm, cake was banana chocolate from Awfully Chocolate...yum.

No comments: