July 17, 2012

M is for ...

...Mee Pok!


Ever since finding out Uncle Andrew opened his own stall selling bak chor mee and fish ball noodles, it’s been on my list of things to do.

And finally the boy could spare sometime over lunch to drive to Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5, since the stall closes by 4pm daily.

Located at Blk 505, just opposite Nanyang Poly, the coffeeshop enjoys brisk business and we found Uncle Andrew slaving over the hot stove. We placed our orders and it came with extra noodles. I ordered the fishball version with tomato sauce, Nick asked for extra chilli not knowing the chilli was potent!



I found it to be a decent bowl of noodles, can’t really complain. There were bits of lard, the fishballs were homemade and therefore not perfect rounds and I especially liked his homemade meatball which was a cross-breed of a fishball and meatball. I liked the taste of my noodles, just the way I like my dry mee pok but I think it could be better if the noodle texture was thicker, I found the mee pok very flimsy.



The verdict from the mee pok man? He needs to try the other variations to judge fully but he liked the chilli and would eat it again. Good bowl of noodles in his opinion but room for improvement!


If you would like to try them for yourself, head down to Aik Leong Coffeeshop at Blk 505 Ang Mo Kio Street 53. The stall is called Swee Heng and the owner is my mum’s youngest brother. Let me know if you have any feedback!

Coincidentally, Uncle Andrew came over with his family this evening to visit Aunty Sarda with Baba and Aunty Irene and also celebrate his birthday belatedly. He turned 50 on the 12th.

No comments: