October 10, 2012

Private Affairs

Restaurant Week Lunch #2 took place today. Again I went with colleagues, a different set this time, except for fellow foodie Wai Leng. As it is Phil’s birthday next week, I bought him lunch instead of a present.

We ate at Private Affairs, just down the road from us at Boon Tat Street. We were greeted by a Halle Berry-looking hostess who showed us to level 2. They have a little lift inside the shophouse.

The menu was priced at $40++ and the restaurant was pretty full with Restaurant Week diners and it was a noisy and young crowd.
 
For my starter, I ordered the lesser of 2 evils…it was a choice between salmon or foie gras so I went with the Pan Seared Foie Gras with Slow Cooked Egg and Morel Sauce.
Am not a big fan of foie gras but will eat it if no choice. The edges were fully cooked so the first few bits were bearable but as I got to the middle, I started to get a bit ‘geli’ with the pinkness and the richness and had to force myself to finish as much as I could. Washed it down with lots of water and the egg but couldn’t quite get rid of the taste all afternoon.

Was glad when my main of Miso Cod Fish with Spiced Eggplant Salad arrived. It was a little skimpy on size but made up in terms of flavour. The fish was perfectly cooked and I rather enjoyed the salad it came with. Anything with zucchini gets my vote!
For dessert, I opted for the Pear Tart with Vanilla Ice Cream. It was baked on an open puff pastry base, and I love tarts with ice cream so I was happy with my dessert.
Overall food was good but it didn't wow me. Doubt will be returning soon but at least I can check it off my list!

No comments: