January 22, 2008

Pregnancy - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

As I start counting down to D-Day, I've been reflecting on what I've gone through for the last 8.5 months.

Overall, I must say I've had it pretty good. I was lucky not to suffer morning sickness, I didn't put on all that much weight, my nose didn't swell, my skin didn't break out, I didn't have weird cravings, I wasn't irritable etc etc. Some people said I looked radiant, others called me 'yummy mummy'. I still made an effort to dress up, I ate what I wanted and even managed to go on a couple of holidays.

There were some downsides, like losing sleep and getting stretchmarks but overall it was a mainly positive experience...one can only hope the labour experience is similar. But who am I kidding? I know that's gonna be a torturous! And the aftercare? I will probably wish I could stuff the baby back in me!

Anyways, just thought I'd record down the experience so far, so that Nutty knows what it was like, plus in case I forget!

The Good (what I liked about being pregnant)
- No morning sickness
- No swollen nose
- Only 10+kgs gained so far
- No skin breakouts
- No weird cravings
- Hormones behaved
- Pigged out and didn't have to worry about the weight
- Got a new wardrobe for me
- Being rewarded with a push present
- Someone else did the housework
- No periods
- Attentive husband
- Shopping for baby outfits

The Bad (the things that sucked)
- Waking up to pee in the middle of the night
- Which led to sleep deprivation
- Having to sleep on my side
- Occasional breathlessness
- Nosebleeds
- Leg cramps
- No alcohol
- A brief bout of acid reflux and indigestion
- Puking twice: once from overeating, and once from indigestion
- Food tasting bland in the first few weeks

The Ugly (I'm so shallow)
- Stretch marks
- Varicose and spider veins
- Uncoloured hair
- People not giving up their seats on buses and trains

If I had to pinpoint a craving, I must say I developed a weakness for ice cream and cakes. There were moments when I HAD to have a blueberry cheesecake, strawberry shortcake or hot fudge sundae. But I didn't have to have them at a particular moment, I could hold out a couple of days. I didn't have to wake Nick up in the middle of the night for char kway teow or anything, he got it easy! But I did get hungry very often, I was like a bottomless pit, eating every 2 hours!

I did make him go Rochor Beancurd a number of times, but only because I don't drink milk and wanted fresh soya as a calcium substitute to aid Nutty's growth. Lately though, I've been dictating where we eat so that I can check off the list of sinful dishes I have to pig out on before I pop.

Yesterday, we met the Dopes and the Babes at Founder Bak Kut Teh after our KK check-up. Been meaning to introduce them to that place and we finally made it. They were quite impressed! Another 10 dishes to go I think...I forgot I had the Hock Lam Beef Noodles last week!

No comments: