December 8, 2008

Where did the weekend go?

The weekend just flew, even though it was a long one with a public holiday today for Hari Raya Haji.

Mildred is having a 9-day Novena / Rosary session at home which started last Thursday, and on Friday we were summoned over. Nat managed to stay pretty quiet except for a few moments of gibberish.

On Saturday morning, we brought her to East Coast but Sleepyhead fell asleep in the car and snoozed throughout breakfast. No matter, me and Nick managed to have a quiet breakfast at the hawker centre, which was surprisingly empty as only a handful of stalls were open. If I had known the place was so dead on Saturday morn

ings, I would have gone there much sooner.


I love the laksa at this hawker centre and was greatly relieved to find it open so early, it's called Roxy Laksa...and it's got standard as affirmed by the numerous news articles and awards stuck to its stallfront.


The gravy has the right amount of lemak and spice, and was not too watery or thick. They give you about 3 medium prawns and for $1 extra, you get a generous serving of cockles, which I don't eat. Anyway I was so tempted to order another bowl after I finished my meal but resisted!


Took away a few packets for the Membina folks though and hung out there for a bit before heading home to prepare for tea with Nick's friends Debra and Colin. Debra's preggers and wanted to look at the maternity clothes I have for sale, she bought 1 dress in the end.

At night, after the munchkin fell asleep, Nick and I headed to St James Powerstation to meet the rest of the cousins for Kaelash's 29th birthday celebrations.

Went to Boiler Room first, followed by Powerhouse before landing up at Movida. Felt sooooo old at Powerhouse, everybody looked 16! Shared a chicken cheese hotdog with Nick from the tapas bar, which was pretty damn good, though at $6 bucks was a tad pricey. Maybe I was just hungry but I'm still drooling just thinking about it. Mmmm...




Went for a later mass on Sunday at St Teresa's, Swana and Kevin brought Gigi to church for the first time. She slept throughout most of the service though and as usual Nat could not keep still, this time she had 5 adults to play musical chairs with.

A woman walked in just as mass started and I got all excited because she was wearing what I recognised to be a Delirious Divas top. I wondered if I might know her and when she turned around, it was none other than Lynette, my ex-colleague from SingTel. She's a big DD fan. Her son is 2 months younger than Nat but way, way bigger!


After mass, me and Nick attended a Melbourne property talk at Conrad, the Aussie dollar is pretty low now but I don't think we'll be making any purchases anytime soon.

Had dinner at AMK and stayed in the room to babysit Nat while the rosary session went on. The munchkin just HAD to poop while we were in there! After AMK, Nick dropped me off at Iguana's where I joined Swana, Vim and Judy for a drink. Had a Kiwi margarita, but it didn't taste anything like kiwis to me.

Just went for a wake, Mr Ho See Beng (who was at our wedding) passed away last Friday at the age of 90. He was one of Uncle Devan's best friends and Pops also used to work for his daughter, Geok Choo at CIAS during my SHATEC days. In the past, Pops also used to help the family bring Mr Ho for walks at East Coast up to 3 times a week, where they would often bump into S R Nathan exercising.


There's been a lot of press coverage on his death, after all he was an ex-MP and the NTUC's first president. The family were very warm, especially his daughters and widow who hugged me and Ma. I nearly teared when his wife hugged me and gripped my hand, even though she probably had no idea who I was. I was introduced as Daya's daughter but I'm not sure it registered.

I tried not to stare at Suzanne Ho, one of his grand-daughters. She was my favourite newscaster on TV, and she looked even better in person, her voice is so soothing.

While we were there, it occured to us that Mr Ho and Uncle Devan died on almost the same date - 5 Dec - albeit 3 years apart. Uncle Devan's time of passing was late night of 5 Dec in Ontario, but it was past midnight so technically it's 6th lah. But still, quite freaky. And what's freakier is that both men were also born on the 5th! 5 August for Uncle Devan, and 5 February for Mr Ho.

In a seperate coincidence, Aunty Dhanam who was born on 18 Jan, died on 18 Apr. 18th and 18th!

No comments: