December 10, 2009

There's no place like home

Am soooo tired. Departed the hotel at 5.45am this morning, was actually the last of 11 to come down despite being the one making the arrangements. Had instant noodles in my room before checking out because I didn't know what time my next meal would be.

There was some drama at the airport when one of my directors couldn't check in. Though he had an e-ticket number, it was apparently not validated. He had to go to another counter to get it confirmed but we were stuck for 30 mins because there was another group ahead of us crowding at the counter. Our task took all of 30 secs but nobody was willing to let us go first.

But we managed to get it resolved in the nick of time and made it on board with a few minutes to spare. I sat across the aisle from Boon Huat and we exchanged snippets from the local newspapers we were reading. They really do print the most mundane and hilarious news! Like this one of a man getting his wife to agree to only beat him once a week!


Boon Huat and my VP Daragh from Ireland were kind enough to be my porters, helping me with my suitcase around the Guilin and Guangzhou airports. We had to wait a long time for our bags in Guangzhou, close to 30 mins. Not very efficient! Plus bags are not checked through for the next flight so we had to kill time before checking in again for the SQ flight.

We all had breakfast at a cafe, before some of us broke away to check in first, while the rest dealt with conference calls.

The Baiyan airport in Guangzhou was huge, we went round in circles locating the SQ counters before I finally got the right directions.


Through my frequent-flyer colleagues, managed to hang in the first-class lounge before our flight departed. When it was time to board, I was stopped by the counter staff and asked to stand aside when they saw my seat number.

For a moment there I thought I was going to be upgraded to business class...but oh no, there was a problem with the screen for the seat I had chosen, therefore they needed to reassign. Bummer! Not that it made much difference since Krisworld was limited. It wasn't the interactive kind so there were less movies. No chance to catch 'Julia and Julie'! Damn!



Killed time by reading and napping, and eventually we landed in Changi. It was good to be home. I dropped Chris off at his hotel and when I got home, the munchkin was pretty excited to see me - running to the gate and jumping up and down. Sigh...missed my munchkin!

No comments: