March 31, 2009

Behind closed doors

The day got off to a dramatic start this morning when Nick, who had offered to send me to work, got locked in our master bedroom just when we were about to leave the house. He had locked the door while changing and for some reason the doorknob got jammed when he tried to open the door. After twisting and turning on both ends of the door, we gave up and called a locksmith who said he could come in half an hour.

In the meantime, I tried using a knife, a card and the keys to pick the lock but nothing worked.
I had wanted to be at work on time today but couldn't leave Nick in the lurch. He was supposed to drop Nat off at Membina but in the end, Swana and Mummy came over with Gigi.

Aunty Sarda came over to see the commotion as well, she had intended to watch over Nat and Arlyn so that I could go to work on time but eventually I decided to wait for the locksmith too.
He came promptly and got to work immediately. It only took him 2 seconds to open the door, all he did was insert a thick plastic sheet in between the frame and the door and shake the door really hard and voila, Nick was free! The lock broke though and we spent $80 in all for the service and a new doorknob.

I had emailed my bosses via Blackberry to inform them I would be late, but one of them thought it was just a funny excuse for being late and replied, "Hi Susmita, that's the best excuse I've ever heard for coming in late! Good luck and see you later." Just in case he didn't really believe me, I sent him a picture of the locksmith at work. I only took the picture because I was going to blog about it, so it came in handy!



I have a new boss again as of today, in addition to the 3 I am currently supporting. This guy is new, having joined less than a month ago, he is the replacement for my original boss who left in September. Hope he's not a slavedriver!

No comments: