August 3, 2009

Birthday 2009

Here I am in Jakarta, all alone on my birthday, in my room at the Intercontinental. It's a nice room I must say, there's a big-ass TV and the bathroom's huge. Am not sure whether the hotel realised it was my birthday or my boss requested for a few things but when I got back to the room this afternoon I had flowers, a fruit basket and a blackforest birthday cake sent to the room...I could get used to this, heh heh!




Arrived early this morning and shared a cab with a colleague from the airport to town. The flight was uneventful, except I had a very whiny and talkative Chinese girl with an American accent sitting next to me, thank goodness she fell asleep halfway!

Jakarta itself is a tad dusty I find, but today I did site inspections at 3 hotels to consider them for future use. What strikes me is that their grand ballrooms are really GRAND! Massive chandeliers, really really high ceilings, and capacities of up to 3000!



Managed to walk one mall called Pacific Place but nothing appealed...prices at home are cheaper I think. Just got back from dinner with 3 colleagues, we had satay and soto ayam next door at a small shopping plaza. I got excited when I saw a sign that said 'Up to 70% off Zara, Pull and Bear and Massimo Dutti' on Level 2 but it turned out to be dinky sale and not very cheap either.

Had an overdose of crab last night, poor Nickypoo has forked out a small fortune for my birthday meals at The Verve and the takeaway crab from Uncle Leong, $200 each place! Think of all the pressies I could have gotten with that money, instead I've requested a new Liverpool jersey although I feel guilty for even asking that because I can't remember if I actually got him a present this year!




The immediate family were over for a simple dinner of cze char dishes from Sin Hoi Sai and 4 crabs from Uncle Leong. Ben and Wendy gave me 3 pairs of Vincci slippers...bliss! I was just lamenting to my colleagues last Friday that I missed Vincci and shopping in JB and voila - 3 new pairs of shoes! I also have a new Coach wristlet...thanks Swana!

Tomorrow I have a customer event I need to oversee and then hopefully I can get a spot of shopping done in the evening. Gonna watch some TV and read a little. Thank you everyone for all the birthday wishes, thank goodness I can now claim my mobile bills...so many outgoing SMSes today!

No comments: