America has a new leader, and so too the world.
All eyes were on Barack Obama last night as he assumed office as the 44th President of the United States and the first black one. What a day it must have been for him and his family, and the millions of African Americans who witnessed history in the making. The turnout on the National Mall was unprecedented.
Many blacks remembered their struggle for equality just a few decades ago when racial segregation still existed, and which Martin Luther King Jr helped to abolish after organising a civil rights movement that prompted new legislation.
MLK Jr's 'I have a dream' speech is considered one of the greatest speeches in history and to some extent I was expecting Obama's acceptance speech to be up there with the best as he has a reputation as a great orator, but it fell short of my expectations for there was no real memorable line.
Nevertheless, I was glued to the TV like millions of others to watch him take his oath just past 1am earlier this morning and I continued watching the inauguration coverage up till I left for work at 9am.
He carries the hope of a nation on his shoulders, and everyone has very high hopes of him. The world is watching his every move and I have a feeling he will live up to, if not exceed those expectations.
Washington DC has so much history and recognisable monuments, and I had a touch of nostalgia seeing all the buildings on TV, having visited the city 8.5 years ago. I can't remember much from the trip now, but I do recall feeling a sense of awe and power because everywhere you turned was a famous landmark.
Hmm, must dig up the albums and reminisce one day!
No comments:
Post a Comment