January 31, 2009

Wanton Woman

I'm so excited! And I just can't hide it....

One of my favourite wanton mee stalls Lucky Wanton Noodles is back at Tanjong Pagar market! I thought I'd lost them forever when the stall disappeared after the hawker centre renovated a couple of years ago but yesterday, I saw the stall back in its original location whilst running an errand during lunch.



If Nick is known as Mee Pok Man, then I am Wanton Mee Woman. I used to eat it pretty often, the noodle soup variety was what I ordered all the time when younger but I've progressed to the dry version these days. I love wanton mee so much that I felt compelled to write in to the Straits Times a while ago when they had a debate over whether ketchup should be added to it. (My answer was a resounding, "Yes!" and my letter was published!)

But anyway, growing up in the Tanjong Pagar area, I used to eat Lucky's wanton mee almost every week when Ma did her marketing plus after primary school swimming lessons at the Duxton pool, I would sometimes tapau their noodles.

So I felt a little bereft when the stall moved out...but not anymore, we've been reunited! It's comfort food to me, and yesterday while queuing for my turn, the owner recognised me and smiled and nodded. That was gratifying!

The noodles are still affordable at $2.50 a plate and it still tastes the same., love their charsiew I shall be dragging Nick to Tanjong Pagar a lot more, maybe I can even walk over during lunchtimes. Joy to the world...

Last night after the babies slept, Swana, Kevin, me and Nick went to Ajen and Vim's place in Pasir Ris, or Paris as they like to call it. 11 of the 14 who went to Krabi in 2007 were there, ourselves plus Kavi, Siva, Ajen, Vim, Pinky, Kumar and John. Jalen and Judy were there too.

We played 21 and In Between, I lost $11 bucks...bugger! The In Between got really exciting, people got greedy and lost big, it was pretty suspenseful whenever someone would bet all from the pot and hilarious when they lost!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You appear to understand a lot approximately
this, such as you wrote the book in it or something.
I believe that you simply can do with some p.
c. to force the message home a little bit, but other than that, that is wonderful blog.
A fantastic read. I'll certainly be back.

Also visit my web site: ford ranger