June 16, 2009

Countdown to Hellas

Somebody pinch me, my lifelong dream looks set to be realised in just over a week.

The hotels have been booked, domestic flights and ferry booked, some transfers confirmed, an outline of an itinerary prepared and this weekend I will pack.

I can't believe this is actually happening, I hope it doesn't end up anti-climatic when we actually arrive. The best is to have no expectations, am just looking forward to the sunsets on Santorini, chilling in Mykonos and immersing myself in history in Athens.

Our flight departs on Wed at 1 am and we arrive Athens at 7.30 am local time. Thereafter it's a domestic flight to Santorini and we should arrive in time for lunch. I booked 3 nights at a little property called Hotel Galini, the reviews weren't great so I don't have high hopes but it was reasonably priced considering the peak season and looks stylish enough, with views of the caldera...websites can be so deceptive. I plan to take lots of pictures of blue-domed churches!

A 3 hour ferry ride away is Mykonos where we will spend the next 3 nights at the Apanema Resort. You have no idea how long I deliberated on my hotel choices before deciding to splurge on this one. Chic yet close to town and rated very highly on Trip Advisor! I hope it's worth it! The plan is to take things slow, some trips to town to see the famous windmills and dining stretch called Little Venice, a day trip to the historical island of Delos and maybe explore one beach.

Last stop is Athens for another 3 nights, we are taking a domestic flight from Mykonos...worked out to be cheaper and faster than ferry if you take the odd timings...we depart at 6.55 am! Will be staying at the Athens Intercontinental where my friend Dimitris works as a chef, he got us a really good rate, but the rooms are old though, so am not optimistic. On the agenda is the Acropolis and all the other touristy sites, lots of shopping at H&M, Mango and Zara and perhaps off the beaten track with Dimitris.

The countdown begins!

No comments: