June 29, 2009

Melting in Mykonos

Breakfast at Apanema was alacarte buffet style, we could have anything we wanted whenever we wanted it, including champagne but this morning I opted for a pancake and fruit.





We had an early start for we had planned an excursion to Delos, a World Heritage Site that according to mythology, was the birth-place of Apollo and Artemis. The first signs of habitation on the island date from the 3rd millenium B.C. and important remains of the Mycenaean period have been uncovered in the area.


Instead of taking a guided tour at 39 euros each, we bought our own ferry tickets for 15 euros each and paid the 5 euro admission and explored via the maps provided. Nick was impressed with the historical importance of the place, and as we made our way along the marked paths, it was amazing to imagine what the place would have looked like thousands of years ago.










There is a small museum on the island, at which we sought some much needed respite from the heat, before continuing our walkabout. What I didn't like about the place though were the numerous wild lizards scuttling about, they blended into the dried grass and I kept one eye on the ground to avoid stepping on any. Plus it was sooooo hot to be outdoors under the scorching sun, I am already several shades darker!

Back on the mainland, we got to see the original room we were booked for, and no question, it was much much nicer so we proceeded to change. Thank goodness it was just next door. Had a lunch of instant noodles which I had brought along, knowing Nick would be sick of angmoh food at some point. He was immensely grateful!



Lounged by the pool for a bit, he had coffee and I tried unsuccessfully to connect to the hotel's wireless network. Gave up and we headed to the town Chora for dinner at Little Venice. Bumped into the Lebanese couple we met on the ferry and exchanged pleasantries before settling on a little restaurant called Katerina's.




Nick had pasta with scampi and shrimp while I had moussaka, which is a baked dish with layers of cheese, bechamel sauce, potatoes, aubergine and minced beef. Yum! We shared a cake and then headed to the beach to catch the last bits of the setting sun.






Walked around Chora thereafter, there are lots of pretty shops but wasn't in the mood to buy anything, saving all my shopping for Athens! Mykonos is known as a gay sanctuary though, so I had to walk a little closer to Nick to 'protect' him from all the men, ha ha. I lost count of the number of couples we saw!




No comments: