June 20, 2009

Packing a Punch!

There are signs around me that this trip is really going to happen, but I won't believe it until I actually board the plane and land on Greek soil. Was at the Substation last night to watch a play and before it started, Yanni was playing in the background, in particular, one of his pieces called Santorini. Coincidence?

And then this morning, as I was flipping through the papers, there was an article in Life! about a new Acropolis Museum opening in Athens...another coincidence?

Anyway, back to the play. I had no expectations about the story and was just going to support my cousins. It was Siva and Kavi's first foray into theatre (he directed, she produced) with their company Punch! Theatre and I was pleasantly surprised at how professional everything was.


Based on a true story about a local Indian dancer who overcame a lot of obstacles to achieve his dream of hitting the big screens, the play called 'Mani' was well-written, funny and moving at times. I even teared at a couple of scenes, some of the supporting actors were really good. There was even a guy who reminded so many of Kumar, a drag queen in the making. Congrats to Kavi and Siva on a job well done!

There were 11 of us watching the play and after that we all adjourned to New Asia for drinks, but not before stopping at McDonald's for a late dinner. New Asia was surprisingly empty, I thought the crowd would swell during happy hour at midnight, but that didn't happen. There was room to walk about and we even got seats. Jamie and Vel joined us not long after and at midnight she ushered in her birthday. Managed to boogie a bit, and we only left at 3am when the place closed.







Some of us went for bak kut teh after, I had been suggesting it all night having had an unsatisfied craving for the River Valley one for a few weeks now. But I resolved to have it last night whilst getting my hair done, the coffeeshop was beckoning across the road from my hairdresser as Selina trimmed and layered my unruly mane.




Yes, I decided to chop off the hair...did a poll on Facebook and the votes were unanimous. You like?

1 comment:

Chubby Cheeks said...

I love your new hair! very CHIC!!!

Have a good holiday n catch up when you're back!