February 10, 2011

All the fishes...(Day 2, 10 Feb)

We are 3 hours behind Singapore and set the alarm for 8am local time but woke up at 7plus and decided to have breakfast early, That welcome pineapple turned out to contain a fruit salad, I didn’t know it had been carved!


The weather is perfect, not too hot and not humid either. We are in an over-water bungalow, and don’t need to venture far to see fish, they are at our doorstep.



Had breakfast at 73 Degrees, the usual bacon, baked beans and sausages was on offer but they also had a small selection of Asian food like chicken congee, fried noodles and fried rice.



Read a bit of the newspapers we took from the plane last night and went back to the room to freshen up before heading out again to explore the island.

We walked to the Thai restaurant Baan Huraa and along the way saw lots of tropical fish swimming among the dead coral. Even saw a couple of eels and octopuses, and a posse of crabs scaling a rock wall, like an army invasion!



Went to book ourselves a sunset cruise for tomorrow and a dolphin quest for Saturday and then checked out the infinity-edged pool. Am sure it will be perfect at sunset.

Chilled at the jetty, I snapped pictures while Nick snoozed before stopping by the library to use the computer. It’s not much of a library, just one shelf of books and hardly any English ones. Lucky I brought my own book, ‘Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me’ though I’m not sure if I’ll get down to reading it!




Snoozed a bit in the afternoon, before taking out a kayak to the sister resort of Anantara Dhigu, about 200m away. It’s a much bigger island and we took a short walk around, spotting a stingray along the shore but it moved each time I tried to take a picture.

On the way back kayaking we saw tiny fish skipping across the surface of the water, chased by bigger fish that also leapt out in their pursuit of the prey. We snorkelled around our bungalow next, there’s a limited variety because there’s not much coral here but these are the fish I saw.



Just when we returned from the snorkelling, a room attendant dropped off a little complimentary snack, some fruit skewers and mini juices. What a nice surprise!


The resort had a complimentary hour of cocktail and canapé session for guests just outside 73 Degrees in the evening, so I put on some white capris and a Trina Turk one-shoulder top.


The staff were present to chat to guests, we had a cocktail drink each and some crostinis, which came with an assortment of toppings i.e. olives, sun dried tomato paste, artichoke or salmon.

We talked to a couple of Malaysian hospitality interns, one of them was called Wendy and we saw her at breakfast earlier. She’s on a 6-month attachment and had only been at Anantara for 2 weeks.

The highlight of the evening was surely the sunset, the area where we were was a perfect vantage point to witness the myriad of hues as the sun set over the horizon. The infinity-edged pool glistened as dusk settled. I was a happy camper, I absolutely love sunsets, it’s my favourite time of the day.



For dinner we decided to take the short pontoon ride to Dhigu, the plan was to eat at the Italian restaurant Terrazzo but they were full and we didn’t have a reservation. Settled for sitting at Fuddan, the restaurant on the 1st level but we could still order Terrazzo food.

I had a tomato soup and he had minestrone. For my main, I opted for a chicken and mushroom risotto that came with peas and truffle oil. I love truffle oil in risottos, my dish reminded me of the Skinny Pizza one though the latter is better. Nick had spaghetti with romana sauce, it was bacon with cream and cheese so it was a tad salty. The damage? About US$120.


Food here costs an arm and a leg and lacks variety, which is why I came prepared with some cup noodles and cereal bars! Can’t afford to spend so much on food, and even if we could, I just find it too extravagant.

The plan is to have nice dinners and skip lunch because we tend to still be full from breakfast. Of course if we are hungry we’ll just order something but the cup noodles and cereal bars should be sufficient for snacking.

No comments: