February 8, 2011

It's Potty Time!

It's full steam ahead for Nat's potty training, the fact that she's going to start pre-school soon motivated me to stop procrastinating and take action. Also, she seemed ready to commit to the cause whereas in the past the novelty would wear off after a couple of days.

We kicked into high-gear a couple of weeks ago by stocking up more on pull-up pampers and asking her every 30 mins if she wanted to pee. Previously it was only me who would remember to ask her and we would sometimes visit the potty on weekends but this time round, I am making sure Wendy, Lita and Ma keep at it while I am at work.

I bought another Elmo potty online to put at Ma's house so Nat can be comfortable going there as well and Swana set up the Fisher Price one she has. The Elmo potty cost less than US$30 but the shipping nearly killed me at US$80! It just arrived and so did the potty watches I ordered from eBay, you can set the alarms to ring at 30, 60 and 90 min intervals which is really useful.




I also ordered an Elmo DVD on potty training which Adrienne said really helped Caitlin so I am hoping it helps Nat too.


After two weeks of consistently asking Nat if she wants to pee, she has made great progress! I think her diaper usage has been cut by half during the day and she is eager to keep her diapers dry when she is awake. We've already started using big girl undies at home this week and I am hoping that by end-Feb she can go without diapers at all during the day, except for naps.

She gets plenty of encouragement and praise from us whenever she pees, we've had the occasional accident where she doesn't make it to the potty in time but only 3 times so far.

In fact so eager is she to please that earlier this morning she woke up at 1.45 am groggily asking to use the potty. I happened to be awake and helped her, she looked so cute all mussed up and relieving herself with her eyes closed.

And it must have been a big relief because she released 4 hrs worth of pee! I told her gently she didn't need to wake up at night yet because she was wearing diapers still but I was pretty proud of her for trying. I guess she doesn't like the feel of soggy diapers anymore!

No comments: