It's only February and I have to break resolution No.6 and that is "Exercise patience with Mildred". Maybe I'm PMS-ing today or something but I just had to vent about Monday's incident which I thought was over and done with, but no she had to bring it up again today, thus pissing me off.
She didn't call me personally though, I just received a call from Nick asking about the issue all over again in a very serious tone to understand what happened. Her knickers are still in a knot after 4 days!
Rewind to Monday.
Mildred was babysitting in the afternoon because Ma had a doctor's appointment. When I got home, she was in the midst of feeding Nat, who is a challenge to feed when not distracted by toys. Halfway through, Mildred tried Nat's chicken and spinach porridge and proclaimed it to be too salty and quietly asked me to try when Arlyn was not around.
I found it tasty, but I wouldn't describe it as salty. Arlyn then tried it and was surprised that it wasn't as bland as Nat's usual meals, but she insisted no salt was added.
Arlyn knows better than to add salt to the munchkin's food because we'd already set the ground rules when Nat started eating solids. So when she said she had not added salt to the food, I took her word for it. End of story to me because I taste Nat's food whenever I feed her and it's always really BLAND, so if she hasn't been putting salt, I highly doubt she would start now. What happened I suspect, was that the chicken imparted more stock than usual, plus fresh vegetables do contain natural sodium.
Anyway, I think Nat was already full that's why she didn't finish her food, but Mildred thought otherwise.
She kept going on about how we shouldn't be feeding Nat salt (duh!), and how her grand-daughter is already underweight, blah blah. Plus Nat had a zit on her left temple and Mildred thought the worse of it, asked how come we never go doctor to get it checked etc etc. I assured her that the bump was going down and that there was no cause for concern, best to let it heal on its own.
I thought she would drop the subject, but no, later that night she called Nick twice. In quick succession. To enquire about Nat's zit (as if it would disappear in the space of 2 hours!) and to raise the salty porridge issue with him.
Poor Nick, I hadn't a chance to fill him in on what transpired before he came home so he had no head or tail about the porridge incident, only to receive a earful from his mother about how we should be monitoring Arlyn more carefully, how come we put salt in Nat's food, how come she has a pimple, why are we not doing anything about it, what kind of parents are we etc etc. He lost his cool with her and basically told her if she can do a better job, she's welcome to f***ing do it!
Mildred still insists there was salt in the porridge and thus is implying Arlyn was not being truthful. That's the part that irks me, that she's suspicious of Arlyn. She thinks we're blinded by the hired help and gullible and are slack employers. I know Arlyn is not perfect, nobody is, but she's been a godsend and I absolutely trust her with my baby's life.
Something funny though, Mildred herself on Sunday night had proclaimed her tastebuds are out of whack, and that she can't taste very well these days, hence I am most amused she can taste the 'salty' porridge.
By the way, I haven't been practicing resolution No. 3 either, to save more, spend less. Just ordered 22 items from Gap and Old Navy yesterday, 19 of which are for Nat. I just take comfort in the fact that I am saving 50% off the retail prices here. The US economy is in a worse state than ours, I had to help them right?
She didn't call me personally though, I just received a call from Nick asking about the issue all over again in a very serious tone to understand what happened. Her knickers are still in a knot after 4 days!
Rewind to Monday.
Mildred was babysitting in the afternoon because Ma had a doctor's appointment. When I got home, she was in the midst of feeding Nat, who is a challenge to feed when not distracted by toys. Halfway through, Mildred tried Nat's chicken and spinach porridge and proclaimed it to be too salty and quietly asked me to try when Arlyn was not around.
I found it tasty, but I wouldn't describe it as salty. Arlyn then tried it and was surprised that it wasn't as bland as Nat's usual meals, but she insisted no salt was added.
Arlyn knows better than to add salt to the munchkin's food because we'd already set the ground rules when Nat started eating solids. So when she said she had not added salt to the food, I took her word for it. End of story to me because I taste Nat's food whenever I feed her and it's always really BLAND, so if she hasn't been putting salt, I highly doubt she would start now. What happened I suspect, was that the chicken imparted more stock than usual, plus fresh vegetables do contain natural sodium.
Anyway, I think Nat was already full that's why she didn't finish her food, but Mildred thought otherwise.
She kept going on about how we shouldn't be feeding Nat salt (duh!), and how her grand-daughter is already underweight, blah blah. Plus Nat had a zit on her left temple and Mildred thought the worse of it, asked how come we never go doctor to get it checked etc etc. I assured her that the bump was going down and that there was no cause for concern, best to let it heal on its own.
I thought she would drop the subject, but no, later that night she called Nick twice. In quick succession. To enquire about Nat's zit (as if it would disappear in the space of 2 hours!) and to raise the salty porridge issue with him.
Poor Nick, I hadn't a chance to fill him in on what transpired before he came home so he had no head or tail about the porridge incident, only to receive a earful from his mother about how we should be monitoring Arlyn more carefully, how come we put salt in Nat's food, how come she has a pimple, why are we not doing anything about it, what kind of parents are we etc etc. He lost his cool with her and basically told her if she can do a better job, she's welcome to f***ing do it!
Mildred still insists there was salt in the porridge and thus is implying Arlyn was not being truthful. That's the part that irks me, that she's suspicious of Arlyn. She thinks we're blinded by the hired help and gullible and are slack employers. I know Arlyn is not perfect, nobody is, but she's been a godsend and I absolutely trust her with my baby's life.
Something funny though, Mildred herself on Sunday night had proclaimed her tastebuds are out of whack, and that she can't taste very well these days, hence I am most amused she can taste the 'salty' porridge.
By the way, I haven't been practicing resolution No. 3 either, to save more, spend less. Just ordered 22 items from Gap and Old Navy yesterday, 19 of which are for Nat. I just take comfort in the fact that I am saving 50% off the retail prices here. The US economy is in a worse state than ours, I had to help them right?
No comments:
Post a Comment