February 16, 2009

You want me to what...??

...Taste Nat's sweat on a regular basis - that's the latest advice from Mildred. We were cruising the aisles at Giant Vivocity yesterday when the beloved MIL sprang this request on me.

Had I been eating something, I would have choked. Who deliberately tastes their baby's sweat? That's just plain gross. Mildred's rationale was that by doing so, I would be able to tell what Nat lacks in her diet and adjust her salt and sugar intake accordingly. But isn't sweat salty anyway? Who has sweet sweat? How will I be able to tell whether the munchkin needs more sugar?

In the first place, Nat doesn't eat food with added salt or sugar, not intentionally anyway and if she does, it's not often. And I'm not about to start just yet.

Mildred has been obsessed with Nat's weight of late. Just because Nat's weight averages in the lower percentiles of the healthy range for her age group, Mildred thinks she is undernourished. To her, Nat has to be in the highest percentile, 2-3 kgs off the mark is too much difference in her opinion.

In the last couple of days, Nat has not been finishing her meals (I put it down to teething) and her paranoid grandma is worried sick, calling every now and then to check whether she finished her food. This afternoon she called me and suggested that we let Nat eat the same food we are eating and if it it's too dry, to add some light soya sauce. I don't want her to eat our food just yet, Ma's dinner repertoire is much too spiced for her delicate tastebuds!

But talk about contradictory! First she complains about salty porridge, then she suggests adding light soya sauce to Nat's meals! It's starting to get to Nick, now he's getting influenced by her. He called home a couple of times today to check if Nat ate and came home at 5pm to make her some pasta. His efforts were in vain, she barely touched the thing!

The baby in question is oblivious to all the hoo-haa going on about her, she's still her chirpy self, extremely active and not displaying any signs of distress. She drinks her milk, so I am not so concerned about this temporary loss of appetite, it's not as if it's the first time. She always gets her appetite back after a few days.

Of late, she has been snorting a lot, because I showed her what sound a pig makes. Nick told her only Aunty Joanne is allowed to snort like that! Since yesterday, she has also been taking tentative steps in her playpen, hands-free. She's a long way from walking yet, but she gets really excited when she stands for a few seconds unaided or when she crosses the length of the playpen without holding the railings!

No comments: