March 1, 2009

'Do you know what today is? It's our anniversary...'

Hmm, I wonder what happened to the group who sang that song, Tony Toni Tone? Bet they didn't last 6 years, but me and Nickypoo did!

I know 6 years ain't much, but when you add the time we started dating, we've been together for 8.5 years and known each other for 11.

6 years feels like an eternity ago, I can still remember the wedding...I was surprisingly calm all morning before the ceremony, while Nick was the nervous one. Because I was my own wedding planner, I was constantly on the phone checking on arrangements and making sure the caterer had arrived, the cake had been collected, the flowers were in place, the favours were displayed, the music played in sequence etc etc.

The photos are starting to look a little dated, check out how slim I was...how do I get back to this size? That's a whole 10kgs ago!


The other day I found an old notebook I used 10 years ago to jot down random lists. I remembered listing the criteria I was looking for in a man and here they are, word for word:

1) Worships the ground I walk on!
2) Honest
3) Same wavelength
4) Single & available
5) Sense of humour **very important
6) Appealing to my eyes
7) Chivalrous
8) Good manners
9) Cultured
10) Loves housework cos' I don't!
11) Star signs must match
12) Puts up with my mess, laziness & paranoia
13) Generous
14) Not a wuss
15) Preferably into sports
16) Mature
17) Responsible
18) Non-violent/abusive
19) Morally upright
20) Affectionate
21) Faithful
22) Down to earth
23) Indulgent
24) Romantic
25) Someone I won't try to change
26) Gets along with my family & friends
27) Must be "Swana-proofed"
28) Good dress sense
29) Hygienic
30) Must love children and is kind to animals
31) Loyal
32) Defends me in front of his mother ** not necessary
33) One-woman man

Nick pretty much met all the criteria, down to the star sign I had mentally picked out i.e. Aries, 4 years older and born in the year of the Tiger...I kid you not, I was that specific!

We were just friends (he had a girlfriend) when I found out those details and in my head, I went, "Cha-ching! OMG, he's perfect...Damn, why isn't he single?" Fast forward a couple of years later, he became available and the rest is history.

Maybe one day I'll share that story, if I can remember all the details!

For the second year in a row, I'll be spending our anniversary alone (damn the NATAS fair). Well, ok, not completely alone, since I have Nat and it's also Aunty Sarda's 70th birthday. We're planning a surprise high-tea at Sheraton with some of her siblings and other nieces, though I think I've let the cat out of the bag.

I didn't know she was sitting on my sofa when I asked Swana about some of the arrangements earlier this evening. She wasn't there when I popped into the shower 10 mins earlier, I didn't know she had come over to the house so Swana quickly changed the subject! Ha ha, oh well, am sure she suspects anyway that it's not just us taking her out.

Anyway, Nick and I will celebrate the anniversary belatedly next Friday, I've taken the day off but it looks like plans will be derailed. I've tentatively scheduled Nat's surgery for that day as well, so will be spending most of it playing Mummy Nightingale.

Went to 2 doctors on Friday, her bump had gotten infected and after seeing the paediatrician, we went to Mount Elizabeth to consult a paediatric surgeon about its removal. His advice was to wait till the infection clears so that his incision is smaller.

This is a bad weekend for Nat, not only does she have to contend with an infected pilomatrixoma; she has a running nose which is dripping pretty bad, a mild fever and a bruised chin. She fell and hit her jaw on Friday afternoon, while Mildred was playing with her...apparently it was a hard knock.

And to top it off, she was subjected to ants crawling all over her when I was feeding her early this morning. The towel/bib leftover from the last feed was infested with ants and I couldn't see in the dark. It was only when I felt a light tingling sensation on my arms and spotted the ants that I realised it. She slept throughout the 'ordeal' but me and Nick were killing ants on our bed at 6 in the morning! Later on when I suctioned her nose with a nasal aspirator, I found an ant in the mucus! My poor baby :-(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) That picture is so nice, I remember your wedding gown. :)